Look, it’s complicated. Growing volumes of electronic health records. New government regulations…and increasing regulation enforcement. Unprecedented complexity in the IT security landscape. If you’re a healthcare information security professional, how do you keep up? Just as importantly, how do you stand out?
Greater industry risk, more professional rewards
You know that expertly managing processes and people to safeguard protected health information requires detailed, specific expertise. You’re also surely aware that the ground is shifting beneath our feet on a regular basis. Most healthcare organizations are coming to realize this as well and have begun putting more stock in professionals who have the right pedigree.
I have always been a strong proponent of certification as a way of demonstrating and maintaining competency in a set of skills or knowledge. And I believe certification is immensely important in the realm of information privacy and security. But of course, not all certifications are created equal.
For these reasons, I am a big supporter of the HealthCare Information Security and Privacy Practitioner (HCISPP) certification. A relatively new qualification, the HCISPP is administered by (ISC)2®, the global not-for-profit organization that delivers the gold standard for information security certifications.
In order to achieve the HCISPP credential, practitioners must possess at least one year of experience in healthcare, as well as additional background in IT security, compliance, and privacy best practices and techniques.
This is a powerful certification, and easily one of the best I’ve seen in this space.
As a privacy and security professional, HCISPP helps you to:
- Stay on the cutting edge of trends within your field
- Become more marketable to healthcare organizations
- Enhance your credibility within your industry and among your peers
Specifically your organization is increasingly likely to look toward HCISPP certification as a way of:
- Ensuring they are entrusting PHI to qualified professionals
- Keeping key staff up-to-date with continuing professional education
- Setting their organization apart by giving patients/customers more confidence about their privacy and security standards
In the spirit of full disclosure, Clearwater is an official training partner of (ISC)2®, and we offer HCISPP courses to get professionals ready for certification. We don’t provide this service because we’re trying to create a significant new revenue stream. We do it because we believe in advancing the industry through promoting and upholding the highest level of professional standards possible.
If you’re interested in learning more about HCISPP, I’d encourage you to click here to continue reading or to sign up for an upcoming training seminar.
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- Clearwater is featured in Consulting Magazine’s 2017 Fastest Growing Firms - November 14, 2017
- Clearwater Compliance Named a Fastest Growing Firm by Consulting magazine - November 7, 2017
- New Webinar Series for Protecting Health Information from PHI Protection Network - November 3, 2017