In a recent live HIPAA webinar, several attendees asked what legal or regulatory enforcement actions have happened recently for HIPAA regulations. We’ve created a list that is illustrative of both actions by the Office for Civil Rights, State AGs and attorneys filing class action suits. You’ll undoubtedly recognize some names.
Last week, in an interview with Deputy Director Susan McAndrew, Esq., from the HHS Office for Civil Rights went on record in an interview with HealthCareInfoSecurity.com to comment on the upcoming agency audits. She said, “This is just another opportunity for covered entities to take a moment from their busy, busy days to do a self assessment. We think that this will help them down the road in terms of building their own capacity for a robust compliance program.” And, McAndrew did not rule out HIPAA – HITECH enforcement proceedings by her HHS Office as a result of the audits. That being the case, it is not only prudent to take actions now to become HIPAA-compliant, but it is fundamental and sound risk management.
- Alaska settles HIPAA security case for $1,700,000
- Sutter Health Hit With $1B Class-Action Lawsuit
- Wellpoint Class Action Settlement Near
- UCLA Health System Enters into $865K Resolution Agreement & CAP with OCRCignet Health Fined for Violation of HIPAA Privacy Rule: $4.3M
- MGH entering into a resolution agreement; includes a $1 million settlement
- Court Approves VT Attorney General HIPAA Settlement With Health Insurer
- AvMed Health sued over ‘one of the largest medical breaches in history‘
- Health Net keeps paying for its data breach in 2009… $625K and counting
- WellPoint’s notification delay following data breach brings action by Attorney General’s office
Clearwater Compliance is already a trusted partner in HIPAA – HITECH compliance. We partner with our clients to help them become and remain HIPAA – HITECH compliant. The Clearwater HIPAA Security Assessment provides precisely the kind of preparation that organizations will need to prepare for the upcoming site audits.
More HIPAA HITECH Resources:
The complete HIPAA Privacy, Security and Breach regulations are here.
Latest posts by Bob Chaput (see all)
- HIPAA Risk Analysis Tip – Part 5 – Questions & Answers from May 3rd Conversation with Former OCR Director Leon Rodriguez - June 5, 2017
- HIPAA Risk Analysis Tip – Part 4 – Questions & Answers from May 3rd Conversation with Former OCR Director Leon Rodriguez - May 29, 2017
- HIPAA Risk Analysis Tip – Part 3 – Questions & Answers from May 3rd Conversation with Former OCR Director Leon Rodriguez - May 21, 2017