With the HIPAA Final Omnibus Rule in full effect, Covered Entities (CE) and Business Associates(BA) and their subcontractors—effectively all entities that create, receive, maintain or transmit electronic Protected Health Information (ePHI)—are statutorily obligated to comply with the HIPAA Security Rule requirement to complete a formal, periodic HIPAA Security Rule compliance evaluation.
If your organization creates, receives, maintains or transmits ePHI, you should attend this webinar!
This webinar is designed to help CEs, BAs and their subcontractors assess both the compliance and security of your HIPAA-HITECH Compliance program and to prepare your organization for a potential audit.
Attendees will receive the presentation materials. No matter where you are in your HIPAA-HITECH compliance journey, you will benefit from learning:
Date & Time
July 14, 2016
11 am – 12.15 pm CDT
This session is offered as a 75-minute Live Web Event using the GoToWebinar platform. The open format encourages questions during and after the session.
- Review the HIPAA Security Final Rule
- Learn about major changes brought about by The HITECH Act
- Learn about the new Civil Monetary Penalty System
- Learn about the OCR audit protocols which describe what the OCR would be looking for in an actual audit
- Review the findings published from Phase 1 Audits
- Learn how to evaluate your compliance with the law
- Learn practical, actionable steps to take today to mitigate risk and help assure compliance
Register for the 7/14 webinar
The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act, which was enacted as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009, significantly modified and strengthened many aspects of the HIPAA Security Rule (and Privacy Rule), including the penalties that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) could impose for violations of the HIPAA rules.
The HITECH Act, passed in 2009, states that periodic audits must be conducted to ensure CEs and BAs are complying with HIPAA-HITECH requirements. The OCR has started sending Phase 2 pre-audit screenings to selected CEs signaling that the Phase 2 Audits will begin. The OCR’s 10 regional offices are responding to an increase of HIPAA security complaint investigations and compliance reviews. Many CEs have ignored the law,and a majority of BAs are not even aware of their obligations under the HITECH Act. Will compliance change? Most experts think so and so do we! The HITECH Act has been called a ‘game changer’ because it significantly strengthens many aspects of the HIPAA Security Rule (and Privacy Rule), including the penalties that HHS could impose for violations of the HIPAA Rules, as well as enforcement.
No matter where you are in your HIPAA-HITECH compliance journey and your position in the ePHI ‘chain of trust’, you will benefit from ideas on how to:
- Jump-start your compliance program
- Revitalize your compliance efforts
- Update your program with HITECH requirements
- Develop an internal benchmarking system
- Implement safeguards as soon as possible
- Evaluate current administrative, physical and technical safeguards
- All registrants will receive a copy of all slide materials.