(b)(1) Standard: Business associate contracts and other arrangements. A covered entity, in accordance with § 164.306, may permit a business associate to create, receive, maintain, or transmit electronic protected health information on the covered entity’s behalf only if the covered entity obtains satisfactory assurances, in accordance with § 164.314(a) that the business associate will appropriately safeguard the information.
(2) This standard does not apply with respect to—
(i) The transmission by a covered entity of electronic protected health information to a health care provider concerning the treatment of an individual.
(ii) The transmission of electronic protected health information by a group health plan or an HMO or health insurance issuer on behalf of a group health plan to a plan sponsor, to the extent that the requirements of
§ 164.314(b) and § 164.504(f) apply and are met; or
(iii) The transmission of electronic protected health information from or to
other agencies providing the services at § 164.502(e)(1)(ii)(C), when the covered entity is a health plan that is a government program providing public benefits, if the requirements of § 164.502(e)(1)(ii)(C) are met.
(3) A covered entity that violates the satisfactory assurances it provided as a business associate of another covered entity will be in noncompliance with the standards, implementation specifications, and requirements of this paragraph and § 164.314(a).
(4) Implementation specifications: Written contract or other arrangement (Required). Document the satisfactory assurances required by paragraph (b)(1) of this section through a written contract or other arrangement with the business associate that meets the applicable requirements of § 164.314(a).
Latest posts by admin (see all)
- Clearwater Says New National Survey Findings A ‘Wake-up Call’ for Health System Cybersecurity - October 31, 2018
- Healthcare’s Most Wired: National Trends 2018 - October 31, 2018
- Clearwater’s IRM|PRO SAAS Platform Included in NIST SP 1800-8 “Securing Wireless Infusion Pumps” Practice Guide - October 2, 2018