The HIPAA Security Final Rule requires all that all Covered Entities and Business Associates (and, soon likely, their sub contractors) complete a Risk Analysis. The risk analysis requirement is specified in 45 C.F.R. § 164.308(a)(1)(ii)(A) Risk Analysis and is known as an Implementation Specification. Risk Analysis is one of four Implementation Specifications that are part of the Standard known as Security Management Process…
A HIPAA Risk Analysis is not to be confused with a HIPAA Security Evaluation (45 C.F.R. § 164.308(a)(8))! We explained the difference in a prior post.
Risk Analysis Requirements under the Security Rule
The Security Management Process standard in the Security Rule requires organizations to “[i]mplement policies and procedures to prevent, detect, contain, and correct security violations.” (45 C.F.R. § 164.308(a)(1).) Risk analysis is one of four required implementation specifications that provide instructions to implement the Security Management Process standard. Section 164.308(a)(1)(ii)(A) states:
RISK ANALYSIS (Required).
Conduct an accurate and thorough assessment of the potential risks and vulnerabilities to the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of electronic protected health information held by the [organization].
In addition to an express requirement to conduct a risk analysis, the Rule indicates that risk analysis is a necessary tool in reaching substantial compliance with many other standards and implementation specifications. We have assembled many useful documents, tools and resources related to Risk Analysis on our site at: http://clearwaterc.wpengine.com/hipaa-hitech-resources/hipaa-risk-analysis-resources/ Please feel free to use and enjoy them!
Please avail yourself of any of these free resources which you may access now by clicking on the links below:
- Risk Analysis Buyer’s Guide
- Expert 2nd Opinion on Your HIPAA Risk Analysis
- Clearwater Compliance White Paper: Risky Business: How to Conduct a Bona Fide HIPAA Security Risk Analysis
- Clearwater Recorded Webinar event entitled How to Conduct a Bona Fide HIPAA Security Risk Analysis
- IRM|Analysis™- Clearwater’s Risk Analysis and Risk Management software DataSheet
- IRM|Analysis™- Clearwater’s Risk Analysis and Risk Management software Free Trial for qualified organizations
- More Risk Analysis Resources
Latest posts by Bob Chaput (see all)
- HIPAA Risk Analysis Tip – Part 5 – Questions & Answers from May 3rd Conversation with Former OCR Director Leon Rodriguez - June 5, 2017
- HIPAA Risk Analysis Tip – Part 4 – Questions & Answers from May 3rd Conversation with Former OCR Director Leon Rodriguez - May 29, 2017
- HIPAA Risk Analysis Tip – Part 3 – Questions & Answers from May 3rd Conversation with Former OCR Director Leon Rodriguez - May 21, 2017