Risk management begins with the determination or identification of risks to assets. An adapted definition of threat, from NIST SP 800-30, is “[t]he potential for a person or thing to exercise (accidentally trigger or intentionally exploit) a specific vulnerability.” Here’s today’s big tip — Learn how to define and identify threats!
In information security, a threat is anything that could harm information or systems creating, receiving, maintaining or transmitting information by exercising a vulnerability. A vulnerability is a flaw or weakness in a system.
As an example, theft of a laptop containing ePHI is a threat. Sending unsecured ePHI through email is a threat.
There are several types of threats that may occur within an information system or operating environment. Threats may be grouped into general categories such as natural, human, and environmental. Examples of common threats in each of these general categories include:
- Natural threats such as floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, and landslides.
- Human threats are enabled or caused by humans and may include intentional (e.g., network and computer based attacks, malicious software upload, and unauthorized access to ePHI) or unintentional (e.g., inadvertent data entry or deletion and inaccurate data entry) actions.
- Environmental threats such as power failures, pollution, chemicals, and liquid leakage.
Check out the Clearwater HIPAA Security Risk Analysis ToolKit™ to jump-start your program.
Please avail yourself of any of these free resources which you may access now by clicking on the links below:
- Risk Analysis Buyer’s Guide
- Expert 2nd Opinion on Your HIPAA Risk Analysis
- Clearwater Compliance White Paper: Risky Business: How to Conduct a Bona Fide HIPAA Security Risk Analysis
- Clearwater Recorded Webinar event entitled How to Conduct a Bona Fide HIPAA Security Risk Analysis
- IRM|Analysis™- Clearwater’s Risk Analysis and Risk Management software DataSheet
- IRM|Analysis™- Clearwater’s Risk Analysis and Risk Management software Free Trial for qualified organizations
- More Risk Analysis Resources
Latest posts by Bob Chaput (see all)
- HIPAA Risk Analysis Tip – Part 5 – Questions & Answers from May 3rd Conversation with Former OCR Director Leon Rodriguez - June 5, 2017
- HIPAA Risk Analysis Tip – Part 4 – Questions & Answers from May 3rd Conversation with Former OCR Director Leon Rodriguez - May 29, 2017
- HIPAA Risk Analysis Tip – Part 3 – Questions & Answers from May 3rd Conversation with Former OCR Director Leon Rodriguez - May 21, 2017