Why you need workforce training
The HIPAA Privacy and Security rules require covered entities and business associates to provide formal education and training of the workforce to ensure ongoing accountability for privacy and security of protected health information (PHI). Each rule independently addresses training requirements. But even if this mandate wasn’t explicitly required by law, investing in your employees to ensure they are appropriately equipped to safeguard PHI and support your compliance efforts should be a top priority.
The most comprehensive, thoughtful and thorough HIPAA compliance program can be derailed by the unintentional actions of a single employee who is not fully aware of their obligations and role in safeguarding Protected Health Information (PHI). Yet, too often companies don’t provide adequate training to workforce members who have daily access to PHI and ePHI.
By investing in HIPAA workforce training, you can transform a major vulnerability (unaware workers) into a valuable asset to help safeguard the PHI entrusted to you and protect your organization’s reputation. Clearwater is here to help with this critical “last mile” effort.
Clearwater’s Security Awareness and HIPAA Privacy/Security Workforce Training is a proven, affordable, web-based program that facilitates security awareness and privacy training for your entire workforce in an engaging, user-friendly format.
Complete HIPAA compliance training for employees
Clearwater’s thorough approach to workforce training ensures that you effectively respond to highly specific requirements under HIPAA, including:
- Security awareness and privacy training programs must be provided to new employees within a reasonable time of them joining your workforce, and must be offered periodically to your entire workforce.
- The regulations define “workforce” as your employees, volunteers, trainees, and other persons whose conduct, in the performance of work for the covered entity or business associate, is under the direct control of such entity, whether or not they are paid by your organization.
- To be in compliance with HIPAA, you must ensure that your entire workforce follows the privacy and security requirements found within the Act.
- Covered entities and business associates should also ensure that all workforce training program dates and assessment results are documented and all documents created are maintained in accordance with HIPAA’s retention requirement of six years.
- Training must also include specific training on your organization’s privacy and security policies and procedures as they relate to their job functions, so while this course will provide an excellent foundation for general understanding, you do have additional requirements.
How it Works
The training program is delivered via multiple online modules:
- Security Awareness
- Complying with HIPAA for Covered Entities
- Complying with HIPAA for Business Associates
- Complying with HIPAA for Hybrid Entities
- PCI Awareness (POS, IT/Back Office, Phone/Online)
The Security Awareness training course is an informative, non-technical, and highly effective on-line multimedia course that provides a foundation of security awareness and creates understanding of relevant security issues in the workplace. This foundational course covers the most common areas in which enterprise end-users jeopardize information assets and the systems that are used to create, receive, maintain and transmit PHI and ePHI.
Course materials include what computer security training is and why it’s important; ways that unscrupulous people and programs try to trick people into revealing information; common mistakes that put private information at risk and much more. The security module also features a pre-assessment exercise to establish a baseline for their knowledge of best security practices.
Complying with HIPAA for Covered Entities
*Full details coming soon*
Complying with HIPAA for Business Associates
*Full details coming soon*
Certificate of Training
Each learner who receives a score of 70 percent or higher on the relevant post-assessment will be able to print a Certificate of Training for that module, which can be used as evidence of meeting annual training requirements.