Critical Insights | Strategies | Recommendations
The Financial Impact of Breached Protected Health Information: 2017 Update
A must read White Paper for Healthcare Leaders to learn about securing protected health information
Published originally in 2012, the whitepaper revealed a new predictive analytics model (PHIve) for evaluating and recommending the appropriate investments necessary to protect PHI and mitigate the risks of data breach.
Over the last five years, new threat vectors such as state-sponsored hackers, new tools for ransomware attacks easily purchased on the Dark Web, and new vulnerabilities including insufficiently protected medical devices and unpatched applications have increased the ease and rewards of stealing health information. The 2017 Update includes a proven use case of PHIve and is available for free download.
Featuring Contributing Author, Clearwater CFO, Mary Chaput & Members of the PPN
- Mary Chaput, CFO at Clearwater Compliance
- Dr. Larry Ponemon, Chairman and Founder of the Ponemon Institute
- Grace Crickette, Associate Vice President at San Francisco State University
- Keith Fricke, Partner and Principle Consultant for tw-Security
- Ben Goodman, Founder of 4A Security
- Rick Kam, President and Founder of ID Experts
- Anita Osterhaug, President of Communication Associates
- Rob Prueter, Executive Vice President of SPHER
- Ray Ribble, President of SPHER
- Kimberly Shutters, Founder and CEO of HIPAA alli
- Ed Stull, Executive Vice President and CTO at MiddleGate, Inc
PPN is an interactive network of PHI protectors and solutions providers. This cross-industry group was formed in 2012 to help expedite the adoption of PHI best practices. Many members contributed to the report The Financial Impact of Breached Protected Health Information: A Business Case for Enhanced PHI Security, which calls for enhanced security to safeguard protected health information and was first issued in March, 2012 by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), via its Identity Theft Prevention and Identity Management Standards Panel (IDSP), in partnership with The Shared Assessments Program, and the Internet Security Alliance (ISA). For more information, visit phiprotectors.org
Looking For A Cybersecurity or Compliance Solution to help you protect your ePHI?
We have assisted more than 400 customers to operationalize and mature their information privacy, security, compliance and information risk management programs. And in the process, we are raising the bar for safeguarding PHI, protecting millions of Americans and driving real value for the organizations we support and the healthcare industry at large.